Sunday, October 08, 2006

Energized Up Ramadhan in Children Pesantren

It was unexpected that I was willing to come for the invitation for being a commitee of Islamic short course in Ramadhan. I just didn't understand my slacking habit suddenly disappeared. Alhamdulillah, most of the commitee were among the close friends. In the first meeting I proposed my daughter song that I wrote long time ago. Then I remember the Islamic holiday activity in Southbank where Lara made a middle eastern doll. The experience inspired me to apply what I had learnt in multiliteracies study about the framework. I was thinking that the New london Groups' fourth concept (Situated Practice, overt instruction, critical faming (irrelevant in this case) and the transform practice) can be applied in this short course, implementing concept through real work and practice. Then I just took the three of them. Their real works were prtrayed though the doll making "women in hijab" and the Mosque collage.
To cut the story short, we arranged everythings in our best ideas. Lots of inspiration came through. The plan and the booklet had in the final draft with lots of activities for children. We devided the kids into two groups, the above 9 and the under 9. The girls took the the younger one as the boys seemed to be not really ready with younger kids. It looked to me everything would be undercontrol including the funds from the Moslem society had no problem at all though the reimbursment system was applied. I didn't mind using my financial source at all. We bought, craft material, goodies bag, and bit and pieces for the whole lots, as well as lots of presents for kids for the winner in the competition. The competition covered; Show n tell with islamic collage - how they could tell their pictorial stimuli in the relation to Islam; Short du'ahs recitation; the best Ied card and the surah recitation.

No comments: